Registration for the 2019 Closed for the 2019 MPHC on 1/8/19, we are currently taking teams for our wait list if our availability allows, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested, serious inquiries only.
Please include contact information and division(s) your team is looking at joining.
WHAT TO EXPECT
After our 2017 tournament, which threw several challenges at our tournament committee, a few players from one of our favorite teams "Pond Hancock" gave us some great advice. We cannot quote them directly, as drinking was involved and they used some colorful language, but the essences was, "tell players exactly what to expect, good and bad, and most players will understand when things don't go their way"
1. This is POND HOCKEY, not a rink, conditions happen and they are what they are most of the time. Yes - we do everything we can to make things better, but sometimes conditions do not cooperate. Hoses freeze, cracks happen quicker than we can repair them, and flooding does not fix everything... it can make things worse (we learned this lesson year 1).
2. PLAYERS MAKE THE TOURNAMENT - While we as tournament organizers love it when players have a great time, we have realized that we have very little impact on how much players enjoy themselves. What does have a huge impact is when guys show up for the right reasons: To have fun playing a great game, to raise money for a great cause, to hang out with great people. Yes, we have some cool trophies, and everyone would love to win it, but if that's the reason you are signing up, than you are missing out on what pond hockey is all about. Those guys that showed up from Nova Scotia with the "Gift Pack" (Including whiskey) for each opponent, they get it... BE THOSE GUYS.
3. "THAT GUY" RUINS GAMES, and the tournament. Don't be THAT GUY. Every team has THAT GUY... leave them at home... we will all have way more fun. If you are not sure who THAT GUY is, they are the player who:
If you still don't know who THAT GUY is, there is a good chance you are THAT GUY. And NO, we are not sexist, "THAT GIRL" also exists, but Writing "THAT GUY/GIRL" just doesn't read well, don't bring her either.
If you are desperate and you need to bring them against our best advice, keep them in check, or we will give them the boot!
4. "OTHER TOURNAMENTS DO IT DIFFERENT". Yup, they do, good for them. We have no problem with suggestions to make our tournament better, but every tournament has their own strengths and weaknesses. If you have an idea to make us better, share it, if you have an idea to make us the same as someone else... we will pass.
5. PLAN TO HAVE FUN and everything will go as planned. It's that simple, don't over complicate it. Dealing with all of the elements, it's very rare that everything goes as planned, and trust us, when things don't go the way we planned, it's WAY worse for us. So plan to have fun, no matter what happens, and we guarantee you will.
6. WE ARE COMMITTED TO MAKING IT RIGHT. We know that when something does go wrong, we will do everything we can (within reason), to make up for it.
7. IF IT WERE EASY, EVERYONE WOULD DO IT. There's a reason that there have been a lot of pond hockey tournaments, but not many do it year after year. It's not easy, but it's worth it. There's nothing more rewarding for us than giving players an opportunity to play hockey in it's purest form.
8. WE NEVER TURN AWAY HELP. Again, we are open to suggestions, but you know what works WAY better than suggestions -- ACTION. As a non-profit fundraiser, we rely heavily on volunteer support, the more help we have, the better our tournament runs for everyone.
Dates: February 8-10, 2019
Location: Snow Pond Center for the Arts; Sidney, Maine
Teams: Played 4v4 with up to 4 subs (max roster 8), Competitive Division Played 3v3 (Max roster 7)
Number of Games: 3 Pool play + Tournament Play, 4 Games for Just 4 Fun Division
Registration Fees: See Table
Registration Opens: 10/3/18
Registration Closes: 1/8/19
|Division||10/1/18 - 10/31/18||11/1/18 - 11/30/18||12/1/18-1/8/19|
|Just 4 Fun||$395||$445||$495|